Saturday, August 13, 2011

Wheels: Part 1 of 3

I’ve never been much of a thrill seeker. At least in the vertical sense. Never parasailed. Never hang-glided. Never took trapeze lessons. Skateboarded only on level ground. I’ve gone skiing once in my life, with an old girlfriend when I was about seventeen or eighteen, and was passed on the bunny slope by a kid who couldn’t have been older than eight, a kid who while sailing off a jump swung both skis to the side in a crouch and announced to me while airborne “daffy,” before landing in stride and gliding down the hill in front of me. I don’t know exactly what the little shit meant by that, but I felt the effects of it right where it hurts most.

My oldest daughter has tried unsuccessfully to get me on a roller-coaster, but I don’t even enjoy them from the ground. When my first wife won a trip to Disney World we were lodged in the Dolphin Hotel, which offered a clear view of Disney’s newest construction, The Tower of Terror. If I understood correctly, it was intended to simulate the feeling of freefalling down an elevator shaft. Safe, I knew I was, since in the four days we would be there, the suicide ride would not be finished and ready to take on passengers. Still, the immense height of the scaffolding from my hotel window sent chills.

But that’s more a matter of verticality. If that’s a word. Speed, moving strictly along the x-axis, is a different matter. I like to ride my bike. Fast even. But for Joe, who grew up in a household bred for speed – Joe Sr. used to race cars - biking meant something entirely different. He was mastering moto-cross while I was learning how to shift on a ten-speed. He had a semi-circle of moto-cross trophies aligned above his stereo cabinet in his room in Medfield.


Joe's Moto-cross bike, #594. Southborough, MA 1985.

For one of his races out in Southborough, Pete, Sarah and I rode out with him. This was probably 1985 or so. It was hot as sin and somewhere out there on the dusty trail number 594 was kicking up a storm before he took a nasty spill. He was pissed afterwards, complaining about another rider who was apparently trailing him too tightly. I don’t remember exactly, but I think it was the time that this same unsportsmanlike rider ran his front wheel into Joey’s back wheel, tripping him up while passing him and then from behind another rider trampled Joey, tire treads permanently imprinted on his lower back to prove it. For years afterward he would lift his shirt and show the pattern of grooves to people and tell the story of the asshole who did it to him. I think he was more proud of that brand than any of the many tattoos that festooned his arms.


Joe's Suzuki. Medfield, MA 1988.

When Joey retired from moto-cross he got himself a road bike. A Suzuki 1100 GSX. I took a hundred or so rides on the back of that machine and not once, surprisingly, did I ever fear for my life. Trust comes with knowledge I guess. And despite my aversion to high-risk activity, I always trusted Joe behind the wheel of anything. His Chevy S-10 pick-up, his Ford cargo vans, his snowmobile, his Suzuki 1100. I was passenger to all those and more. There were times on the back of that bike that I deliberately didn’t look over his shoulder at the speedometer. I knew the rate at which we were passing cars on the interstate, but I didn't care. This was better than anything Disney would have to offer, and I always knew we’d come out alive.

7 comments:

  1. Joe drove what came to be called the “wicked brown van,” ironically named after a Boston radio station promotional vehicle and the annoying ad that forever announced its presence around town. He drove it roughly, but with great control, even grace, artfulness. I’m serious. He could make it perform in ways you would never expect. Really, his goal was to entertain his passengers. If that meant giving you a scare, a near heart attack, then so be it. He’d suddenly crank the wheel and spin you into the space between the door and front side passenger seat. You’d cuss while he laughed . . . and then you’d laugh too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In Italy, 2001, with my high school friend Jen. On one of the crazy highways that doesn't seem wide enough for even ONE car going in each direction. Joe ends up four cars across (he is passing, going absurdly fast, and so is someone else, coming in the opposite direction). Jen is in the passenger seat, terrified, whacking Joe with her empty camera case. I am in the back seat, amused. I can relate to her hysteria but I know there's nothing to worry about, really. No worries in the car, ever. Even if it's dangerous, he knows what he's doing and is in control. Impeccable visual-spatial skills. I learned how to drive stick shift from Joe so I've got that, but I deeply miss having a keen, steadfast, and perfectionist driver in my life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you miss "Teal"??

      Delete
    2. Of course yes I do miss Lil Teal! Hyundai Excel. I would offer to wash the car for Joe and he would say, 'No, thanks', cause he didn't want it to be an even brighter shade of teal....

      Delete
    3. Of course yes I do miss Lil Teal! Hyundai Excel. I would offer to wash the car for Joe and he would say, 'No, thanks', cause he didn't want it to be an even brighter shade of teal....

      Delete
  3. You are doing a great job on the blog Matt! I am really enjoying the updates!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, since I am his sister, I remember #594...as you walked up the attic stairs in Grove Street there it was, in Joey's handwriting, #594 written on one of the walls of the attic. He was very proud. As far as the tire tracks on his back, I think it was one of this many Motocross trophies .... I have them all as well as his favorite black leather jacket! I also rode Joey's Suzuki on Route 27. We started off slow then his slapped the pocket of his jacket as if to tell me to hold on tight. Well, I grabbed the pockets of his jacket, and he picked up speed so fast I was screaming in his ear. He never took me on the bike again:) Words can't express the gratitude I have for you, Matt, for spending so much time and effort on the blogs you have created to keep my brothers memory alive .... it will never leave me.

    ReplyDelete